AccomplishmentsPositive outcomes achieved for Bedford-Wentworth by Tim Outhit - listening to residents, advocating for our community and working collaboratively with his counterparts on Halifax Council
Since being elected your representative on Halifax Regional Council I have led and/or strongly supported many new policies, programs, facilities and infrastructure that I believe have significantly benefited our municipality and Bedford – Wentworth.
One of the first things you learn upon being elected to Regional Council is the need and the benefit of working with others to achieve your objectives for HRM and your District. So, this progress highlighted below has been achieved by working together with my Council colleagues, HRM staff, residents, user groups, developers and the other orders of government collaboratively. I am extremely appreciative of the tremendous support that I have received from them!
HRM Achievement Highlights:
- The Integrated Mobility Plan.
- The Strategic Road Safety Framework.
- The updating and expansion of Street Calming policies and tactics.
- The Declaration of a Climate Emergency.
- Several parkland acquisitions and additional parkland, greenspace and watercourse protection.
- The unanimous approval by Regional Council of the HalifACT 2050 climate action plan.
- Property Tax Bills being frozen three times.
- A more transparent and open HRM Annual Budget process.
- Progress on Affordable Housing Policies and Initiatives.
- Low debt and debt reduction
- Ongoing contribution to our capital projects, emergency, and strategic initiatives Reserves
Transparency, Accountability and Efficiency
- All Regional Council votes being Recorded.
- The Downsizing of Regional Council.
- The construction of the new Central Library.
- Retention and expansion of the Oval.
Highlights of Accomplishments in District 16:
Transportation and Transit
- The unanimous approval by Regional Council of the Bedford Highway Functional Plan.
- The unanimous approval of the HRM Rapid Transit Plan, which includes plans for Bus Rapid Transit and Ferry Service in our District. Council has submitted a funding assistance request to the other orders of government.
- The unanimous approval by Regional Council of the amended West Bedford Transportation Plan, which will be funded jointly by the developers and by HRM.
Sports, Recreation and Active Living
- The BMO 4Pad Arena.
- Our new Community Centre.
- The artificial turf sports field by CPA.
- The combination cafeteria and auditorium at CPA.
- The rebuilding of the Spring St tennis court.
- Repairs and upgrades to the Bedford Lions Outdoor Pool.
- Repairs and upgrades to the LeBrun Community Centre, its Rink and to its Lions Den.
- Construction of the permanent washroom facility in DeWolf Park.
- The outdoor gym in DeWolf Park.
- Additional benches and picnic tables in several of our parks and playgrounds.
- Repairs and upgrades to the Meadowbrook and to the Lenihan ballfields.
- Upgrades and repairs to the Bedford Leisure Club and Lawn Bowling facility.
- Financial contributions to several churches in our District for improvements to their community areas that used by community groups, youths, seniors, etc.
- The addition of approximately 150 acres to Sandy Lake Park and Sandy Lake Beach upgrades.
- Unanimous Regional Council support for additional expansion of Sandy Lake Park over the next several years.
- The upgrading and / or expansion of almost every playground in District 16 and several additional ones
- Access improvements to Paper Mill Lake.
Safety and Active Transportation
- Speed and traffic calming initiatives in several neighbourhoods in our community.
- The purchase of the land, and the subsequent commitment to construct, a new Fire Station and Fire HW on the Hammonds Plains Rd. This was required to protect and serve residences and businesses in the growing Larry Uteck, Royale Hemlocks, and West Bedford areas of our community.
- The addition of several new sidewalks and pedestrian bridges, and improvements to paths, to improve safety and to encourage recreational and active transportation. Examples of additional sidewalks include the Hammonds Plains Rd, Dartmouth Rd, Douglas Dr and several areas along the Bedford Highway.
- The addition of crosswalk flags at many of our marked crosswalks, throughout our district
- The restoration and expansion of the Bedford Cenotaph.
- Repairs and upgrades to the Bedford Legion.
- Several repairs and upgrades to our beloved Scott Manor House and support for the Fort Sackville Foundation.
- Repairs and upgrades to the bandstand in Fish Hatchery Park.
Key Facilities in Progress
- HRM and Library Board commitment to build a new and larger Library in our District.
- The purchase of the land, and subsequent commitment to construct, our first Transit Terminal and Park & Ride Facility in Bedford – Wentworth.
State of Good Repair and Beautification
- Seasonal banners, tree lights, and hanging flower baskets to help beautify our Bedford Highway business area, and in support of the Bedford Business Association.
- The repaving of many streets in our older neighbourhoods, and in some cases the paving of streets that were previously still gravel.
- The patching and sealing of many of our newer and busier streets and roads to maintain their integrity and extend their lifecycle.
- Numerous repairs and upgrades to DeWolf Park, Fish Hatchery Park, and many of our playgrounds and sports fields.